Friday, March 27, 2015

Show Me How Big Your Brave Is...

Hey, friends!  Missy here.  Today I'm sharing a layout I created based on the newest sketch over on the sketch blog.  Ashley Horton is the featured sketch designer this month, and I was very inspired to create my own background and "patterned paper" for this.

First of all, my photo is what I call a "hard to scrap" picture.  Lots of colors and a busy design.  I didn't have any patterned papers that jumped out at me to use for this, and I honestly didn't want to spend hours going through every single piece of paper I own....haha.  So I decided to work with white cardstock and inks, paints and gelatos.  I covered some cardstock in gesso and then made a big mess of blue, pink and purple.  I used gelatos, some watercolor, some stencils and some spray inks.  Once it dried, I used a few different sized circle punches and made my circles.  I followed the sketch and placed them down and then stitched through them with silver thread.

I wanted something to back my photo with that wouldn't take away from it or add to the busy factor, so I used a piece of white tissue paper and a small bit of patterned paper from Echo Park Capture Life.  It's black and white striped and it subtle.  I added some touches of pink washi tape and lots of tangled thread.


Those wood hearts have foil on them....super fun and easy to do.  Michaels carries this on the aisle with all the inks and stencils....and it's actually on clearance.  You just coat the paper or whatever in the foil glue, wait for it to dry and then stick it the foil sheet.  When you peel it off, it's covered in foil!  Super cool and shiny!


Here's a close up of the mixed media work...very abstract and messy.  I tried to match the colors in the photo, and I love the silver touches.


Here you can see the thin tissue paper layers.  I also added some vellum circles and some flair buttons.


I used some Heidi Swapp chipboard alphas combined with some alpha stamps and a Cameo cut.  The title is a lyric from one of Sara Bareilles' songs :)


I hope this gives you some ideas on what you can do when you have a hard to scrap photo...try and create something that makes the photo stand out.  Sometimes patterned papers can drown a photo out, so this is a great way to make it shine!

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a great day!

Missy :)

8 comments :

  1. Oh Missy, I absolutely LOVE THIS LAYOUT! Your creativity never fails to amaze me! Did you do a video for this layout? I'm off to check! Just love all of the amazing details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this with all the layers and textures. Such a beautiful page!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful!! LOVE the papers and shapes you created!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are no words........absolutely beautiful seems like it's not enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving those gorgeous circles and stitching, fantastic layout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just beautiful! Loving all the beautiful colors and stitching! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete